Sunday, May 9, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane

72 hours...

In 72 hours I will be on the ground in Managua, Nicaragua, preparing to start the next 27 months as an agriculture volunteer with the Peace Corps. From submitting my application in August, to interviewing in October, to passing my medical clearance in January, to receiving that big blue invitation envelope only six weeks ago, I now understand why many people say that Peace Corps is more of a 3-year commitment; the first year is spent in patient (or more often nail-bitingly impatient) anticipation of actually receiving a country assignment.

With Nicaragua assignment in hand, a plane ticket for May 11th and a living room cluttered with unpacked clothes and random gear, I'm almost ready to start this next chapter. Saying goodbye to DC and to all the friends and memories made over 5 years has definitely been difficult, but my DC "bucket list" now looks solidly checked off. In between the frenzied rush of packing up my DC abode, I've also found time to kayak on the Potomac, catch a show at Ford's Theater, cheer with the Barra Brava at a DC United match, share more than a few rounds with friends, and make final visits to all my favorite museums and galleries in the District. I can also say with certainty that I've eaten enough blue crabs and Old Bay to last me a lifetime and may have singlehandedly depleted the Chesapeake Bay of its resident crustacean for years to come.

Back in New England, I've spent quality time with friends and family in Connecticut, visited old friends in Massachusetts, celebrated my 23rd birthday, caught some live music, and chilled with my brother in Vermont. Its been exhausting tracking you people down! Through all the goodbyes though, I realize how lucky I am to have known so many great people, and I hope those of you that keep up with this blog remember me from time to time, because I won't soon forget you.

Which brings me to this site. For those of you who followed my (mis)adventures in Russia, I tried to upload posts at least once a week. To be completely honest, I have no idea what the internet situation will be like down in Nicaragua, especially considering the rural nature of my work, but I still hope to update this site as often as possible. Whether that means once a week or once a month I can't say, but I'm feeling optimistic. Overall, I hope you will find this site to be an entertaining collection of journal entries, longer essays and articles, photos, videos, drawings, rants, raves, and random musings. Feel free to post comments and leave some love, support, or grammatical criticism (especially once I start hablando espaƱol every day). So stay in touch, wish me 'buena suerte' and I'll see you in Managua.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers always. I'm so incredibly proud of you and will miss you terribly. You are my and Dad's "finished product" and we're ready to let you go out into the world and make a difference. Like I always said, you're like King Midas, you make everything you touch turn to gold. I love you!!!
    All my love and kisses forever and always,
    your Mom
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Dave's a finished product, does that mean I'm still a work in-progress? Hmmm...

    Best of luck man, and no matter how much you learn about agro-forestry, please know that you will never surpass nor even match my plant prowess.
    Peace Man.
    Love, Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave, good luck down there! Make sure you learn a lot about your agro-forestry shenanigans so you can whoop Greg at his own game :P

    Good luck, and may the force be with you.

    Love,
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,
    Hope all is well with you and that you are meeting lots of new and interesting people. I too am so proud of you and the commitment you've made to help others - but then again, that has always been your nature. Stay safe, healthy and happy. Love you. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave,
    Hope the initial meetings went well, and your stuck with some interesting new folks. Looks like your family has said some real nice things, but I'll chime in, thanks for going out there and being the face of America for everyone back home. Be safe and keep your head up.
    Much love,,
    -Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations Dave! I'm so happy you made it! ~Shams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buena suerte! Will follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dave,

    Imagine my surprise when your mom told me that not only were you going to Nicaragua, but possibly Esteli where Cassie was until May 13th! How exciting! We will be there next week and can't wait to see Cassie. I look forward to reading about your experience and finding out just where you are. I wish you the very best on this new chapter of your life. Blessings to you, enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing
    on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    Here is my website ... medi-weightloss clinics

    ReplyDelete